Communication is essential in school, work, and social interaction. Speech-language pathologists (SLPs) are trained to help individuals with speech and language delays and deficits.
What Can Speech-Language Therapy Do?
The Asante Centre SLPs can provide speech and language support to children and youth with a range of communication deficits including:
- Developmental Disabilities: difficulties with communication as a result of ASD, FASD, and other complex developmental needs can be addressed by an SLP.
- Speech Development: children may have difficulties learning to produce certain sounds correctly. Their speech can be very difficult to understand. An SLP can help individuals speak more clearly.
- Language Delay or Deficits: children have difficulties following directions because they do not understand what is being asked of them. Other children have difficulties learning how to put words together to make phrase or sentences. Therapy can help someone learn to understand and use language more effectively.
- Social Communication: children may have clear speech and the ability to talk well, but may have difficulty communicating in socially appropriate ways. SLPs can help children learn to use conversational skills such as turn taking and nonverbal communication skills.
- Other communication deficits: such as stuttering/dysfluencies and voice can also be treated by an SLP.
Therapy may be done with individuals or in group settings. The Asante Centre SLPs host a summer social communication group. Family members are encouraged to participate to reinforce learning goals at home.
Asante Centre Speech Services
Asante Centre speech-language pathologists' services include:
- Assessment and diagnosis of communication disorders in infants, children, youth, and adults.
- Intervention for children and youth who have speech-language delays or deficits.
- Selection and implementation of augmentative and alternative communication devices.
Communication challenges should be addressed as soon as possible in a child’s life, but it is never too late to help someone learn to communicate more effectively. Speech-language pathologists at the Asante Centre work with children as young as 18 months of age to help them and their families communicate more effectively.
Speech therapy can be fun! At the Asante Centre SLPs use pictures, iPads, and games to help children with their speech and language challenges. We work hard to tailor our therapies to each child’s unique needs. If you feel that your toddler or child may be challenged in his or her communication, we’re here to help.
Where can I get more information?
the speech-language pathologists at the Asante Centre for more information on services and fees.